Thursday, 31 July 2014

A week in the sun

I've recently returned feeling fresh from an incredibly relaxing and sunny week in Spain with my family. We rented a terraced villa in Cabo Roig, a small town outside of Alicante on the coast next to Playa Aquamarina, a beautiful beach with a lush sea.



There was a variety of restaurants close by including Puccini's, an lovely Italian where I tried mini prawns for the first time in a salmon and pasta dish and enjoyed some very chocolatey profiteroles. I would definitely recommend it.



I also got the chance to have traditional tapas in the form of three small dishes. I chose a classic Spanish omelette, some spicy meatballs and put my brave face on for some chicken and seafood paella. 


I've only recently begun trying seafood in the last year so a plate that included a crabs leg, mussels and prawns that were giving me the evil eye didn't sit too comfortably. However I tried it all including the prawn's innards (even if I wasn't man enough to peel it myself). Not sure I'll be rushing back to try paella anytime again soon. 


After that extremely salty experience I thought I'd risk ordering a bread and butter pudding. It seems that the Spanish think this traditional English pud is a grainy creme caramel, however it was pretty tasty and the presentation was extremely cute.


We additionally tried a Mexican restaurant after I had a craving for some guacamole. There was some mixed reviews from the family with some overcooked meat however I enjoyed my steak with enchilada and fried beans. My cousin was also very impressed by the size of his BBQ ribs!



I also had the chance to read a lot on holiday including the new book in the Bridget Jones series 'Mad About the Boy'. It was definitely the perfect holiday read even if I was shocked by the storyline, so you might need a tissue!


The rest of the holiday included trying out the local wine, enjoying some home cooked BBQs and relaxing by the pool. I was surprised by how much of the language I could remember from A Levels and think I will begin developing my Spanish further (hopefully to beginner level so I can cross another of the Bucket List!).


No comments:

Post a Comment